6 Point Checklist for Air-conditioning (AC) Maintenance as Summer Approaches in Dubai
May 03, 2023 in Blogs
Sweaty summers are here and we have to admit we can’t resist this dry weather and the only thing which can save us from this humid weather is the Air Conditioner. Summers come with sweaty, stinky, and unbearable heat that consumes a lot of energy in both humans and mechanical systems. Like so many mechanical systems in our homes, air conditioners are majorly used in summer but are otherwise roundly ignored. Until there’s a problem. That’s when we call a service professional and begin to hope that the bill won’t be too high.
Your air conditioner plays an important role in keeping you and your family comfortable and cool indoors. When an air conditioner breaks down, it can be as expensive as it is frustrating. Air Conditioners have maintenance to follow and keep a checklist for up-to-date systems. A well-maintained air conditioning unit runs efficiently to cool better, uses less energy, and thus costs less to run. Best of all, a properly serviced system has fewer breakdowns and a longer lifespan.
What You Should Know About Air Conditioner Maintenance?
As a home or business owner, you can tackle some routine air conditioner maintenance tasks. But you should leave technical assessments and repairs to properly trained, licensed professionals. If you do handle some of the maintenance, always observe safety precautions in Dubai, and before you perform any work on your outdoor unit, shut down the power at your electrical box. Negligence in the service and clean-up of AC results in reduced cooling capacity and long-term damage to the unit.
Different types of Air Conditioners that need maintenance:
Maintain your equipment to prevent future problems and unwanted costs. Keep your cooling and heating system at peak performance by having a contractor do annual pre-season check-ups. Contractors get busy once summer and winter come, so it's best to check the cooling system in the spring and the heating system in the fall. To remember, you might plan the check-ups around the time changes in the spring and fall.
6 Point Checklist for Air-conditioning (AC) maintenance.
- Check thermostat settings to ensure the cooling and heating system keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- If you can, check your duct always. Look for obvious water droplets and make sure there is no leakage. If there is even a hint, ask a professional for help.
- A dusting of the outdoor evaporator unit is another way of taking care of your AC
- Check your units gas levels
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors. Faulty electrical connections can cause unsafe operation of your system and reduce the life of major components.
- Lubricate all moving parts. Parts that lack lubrication cause friction in motors and increase the amount of electricity you use.
- Check and inspect the condensate drain in your central air conditioner, furnace, and/or heat pump (when in cooling mode). A clogged drain can cause water damage in the house and affect indoor humidity levels.
- Check controls of the system to ensure proper and safe operation. Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates, and shuts off properly.
- Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils. Dirty coils reduce the system's ability to cool your home and cause the system to run longer, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
Actions To Do Yourself:
Inspect, clean, or change air filters once a month in your central air conditioner, furnace, and/or heat pump. A dirty filter can increase energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to early failure. Just like any mechanical system, your air conditioner requires regular maintenance. This will ensure it’s performing safely, effectively, and efficiently. Regular AC maintenance will also reduce strain on the unit and system, prolonging its life and preventing costly repairs or replacements.
Do not miss an AC service, especially considering the harsh weather in UAE, especially Dubai. Before the onset of the summer season, always call an AC service professional for a complete clean-up and servicing of your air conditioner.
Whenever you call an AC service professional, make sure that he checks up all the parts like coils, compressor, duct, fins, filters, drains, etc., and performs the necessary service.